The Best Travel Routers and Mobile hotspot devices are now an essential need for everyone. In everyday life people roam many places, they go to their office for work, the market for shopping, and some other places. While traveling, they use their mobile phones, laptops, and tablets to call someone, check emails and watch and share pictures and videos in social media. So there is a need for an internet connection to go online and access the data.
Nowadays, most of the traveling people prefer wireless (WiFi) travel router to get online, and this is the easiest way to stay connected.
Travel Routers are a compact device which provides you secure connection with high-speed data. If you go to a hotel and they offer you low-speed connection, and it is sometimes insecure therefore you should buy your portable router for secure internet connection. There are many types of wireless router available in the market, so people are confused to buy one. Here we will guide you to pick the best wireless travel router at the best budget.
Benefits of Travel Routers
- A travel wireless router will help you extend the range of wifi networks.
- It can also creates a secure network connection at a public Hotspot to protect your connected devices.
- Like normal wireless routers, you can connect multiple devices to a network with a travel router.
- Travel routers can also be used as a WiFi bridge.
- It may include the ability to connect to a wired network.
Wireless Travel Router Buying Guide
You have to keep in mind these following things at the time of buying a wireless travel router.
Size and Weight
You should make sure that the wireless router you are buying should be small and lightweight because it will be used while traveling. All the listed routers are portable, but you should consider a more compact model.
If you use your wireless router for business and office work, then you need a secure connection so that others can not share your data. You should look for a router that has either a robust inbuilt security option or VPN option for security.
Speed and Range
Speed and range is also an essential factor for consideration while buying a wireless router. You need a fast wifi network for streaming video and conferencing while traveling. You also want a router that gives a broad range so that you can access the internet for long distance.
Best Wireless Travel Routers in 2019
HooToo TripMate Titan – Best Outdoor Wireless Router
TripMate is a small and powerful compact device.it is the only multipurpose router for traveling. TripMate is a reliable router with 10400 mAh powerful battery to charge your smartphone. You can easily use this wireless router at your home, office, hotel, and everywhere you go. Its rubber flaps seal the ports and protect it from dirt and dust. It has three power options: USB port, USB adapts charger and power bank. Bridge mode is the most useful option for travelers.
Connection modes of HooToo TripMate
- AP mode: it stuck with a network cable and turned it into usable WiFi for your phones and tablets.
- Bridge mode:it uses trip mate to connect and share the connections
- Router mode: in this mode we connect it to a DSL or cable modem which turns it to a regular router.
- Personal cloud-it creates its own private, secure sharing network. You can connect to the five people simultaneously through this device.
- Chromecast friendly-it can connect Google Chromecast to your TripMate directly
- Easy to use the app- it is freely available in the apple app store and googles app store.
- Space saver-you can easily attach a hard disc or USB flash drive to this device and transfer the data quickly using TripMate App.
RAVPower Wireless Router AC750 – FileHub and Wireless Travel Router
It is a highly portable router which can automatically backup your data using RAVPower file hub software. This router provides an SD card port, a power button, a broadcast button, and a function button. RAVPower router has a 6700 mAh external battery, and you can easily replace it if it doesn’t work. Like HOOTOO TripMate titan, RAVPower FileHub also provides three modes: ap, bridge and router. You can easily switch between them. It gives you faster speed which can instantly convert a wired network to wireless with super fast speed of 433 Mbps. It’s one key backup gives you the most rapid transfer of files from SD Card to the portable hard drive.
Connection modes of RAVPower AC750
- AP mode that converts a wired network to wireless by plugging an Ethernet cable.
- Bridge mode allows you to connect the existing network and broadcast a new signal.
- Router mode converts it into the regular router by connecting DSL or cable modem.
- One key backup can upload your SD Card stored photos to your hard disk or flash drive easily.
- Media and Cloud sharing-it can easily share stream videos, photos, and music with your family and friends.
- Chromecast setup
- Save photos and videos on SD Card or HDD.
- Wireless storage backup
- Data Transfer Rate: 5 GHz, 2.4 GHz
- Item Dimensions: 4.45 x 3.03 x 0.91 in
- Item Weight: 7 ounces
- Wireless Compability: 2.4 GHz Radio Frequency, 5.8 GHz Radio Frequency
- Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Data Transfer Rate: 300 Mb per second
TP-Link N300 – Best Budget Portable Travel Router
The TP-Link N300 transforms any internet connection into a private dual band Wi-Fi network. It is also known as the world’s first travel router. The N300 gives you multiple Wifi modes for any situation during traveling. It works with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz devices, including Chromecast and amazon fire TV stick. It supports a fast 300 Mbps speed.
Connection modes of TP-Link N300
- Router mode- the travel router creates the private wifi network for internet access using Ethernet port.
- Hotspot mode- this mode gives you private wifi hotspot in public area using the outdoor WISP access point.
- Range extender mode-it extend your existing wifi network which maximizes coverage and eliminates dead zones.
- Client mode-it allows devices that required a wired connection to access an existing wifi network
- Access point mode-it creates a wireless network for wifi enabled devices.
- Portable and compact- it can easily fit in your pocket, purse and bags and perfect for use while traveling.
- Dual band ac for fast WIFI speed-it creates fast AAC750 wifi over dual 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Dual mode allows more devices to connect your network and gives you reliable WIFI access.
- Built-in USB2.0 sharing port –it comes with Multi-functional USB port for file sharing and charging.
GL.INET GL AR300M – Best Portable Mini MINI Travel Router
It is a mini travel router for working professionals, having storage of 128 MB ram and 128mb NAND flash which can be further extended using external USB sticks.it is an ideal portable gateway for IOT development. This router is lightweight, pocket-friendly and compact .it can also convert wired network into wireless using Ethernet. This device can also convert public network to your secure network .it offers a pre-installed openWRT with an open VPN client which provides 20 plus VPN service providers.
- 300 Mbps high speed
- 128 MB RAM
- Small, lightweight and easy to use.
- Pre-installed OpenWRT.
- Two small external antennas
- Two Ethernet port
- VPN support
TRENDnet (TEW-817DTR) AC750 – Best High Speed Wireless Travel Router
TRENDnet is the fastest travel wireless router with a quick setup time which makes you online within minutes. This router provides an access point to connect all local devices through this and provides safeguards to secure the network which prevents malicious users from spying on the data sent or received over the internet. Installing this router for the first time is a little bit difficult, but the process is fast and straight forward. It provides enhanced 300 Mbps speed and advanced encryption option that protects your wireless network.
- One touch wireless connection using WPS button.
- Toggle switch.
- Advanced encryption option protects your wireless network.
- Embedded GreenNet technology reduces its power consumption by up to 50%.
- Advanced multiple input multiple output antenna technologies.
- Static and dynamic routing support.
- Advanced wireless security.
- High-speed data rates up to 433 Mbps.
Frequently Asked Questions of Wireless Travel Routers
What does a travel router do?
In router mode, it becomes a fully functional wireless router, after connecting DSL or cable modem to the travel router.
Are travel router secure?
Travel routers provide firewall security which protects your devices from known dos attacks and scans all the port from the internet and gives you more secure internet connection.
Does wireless router need Ethernet cable?
Ethernet port converts wired router to wireless router.
What is a travel router?
This is a small and powerful device which gives you better internet connection and provides you streaming media.
How do you reset a HOOTOO TripMate Titan?
First Press the reset button by using a needle-like object and hold it for 10 seconds until the Wifi indicator starts to blinking after that release the needle and wait for TripMate to reboot.
What is the best travel router?
- HOOTOO TripMate Titan Wireless Travel Router.
- RAVPower AC750 Wireless Travel Router.
- RAVPower FileHub Wireless Travel Router.
- TP-Link wireless Travel Router.
Can I use Chromecast without Internet?
Chromecast can make streaming media to your TV, so it typically requires an internet connection to stream anything.
How do I use a Chromecast in a hotel
- After completing any forms, connect to your hotel’s Wifi.
- Open hotspot and share your connection as a Wifi hotspot.
- Connect your Chromecast to the new hotspot you have created.
- Voila, you have got a working Chromecast.
Does Chromecast stay on all the time?
Whenever you turn off your TV, Chromecast will go on stand by mode.
Do I need SIM Card for Travel Router?
No, portable travel routers are does not require SIM Card for Internet connection. It doesn’t work as LTE (4G) hotspot device. All you need a public or private (wifi or cable) internet connection and it will boost wireless signals. In short it will work like a Wi-Fi Extender.